First Solar Photo

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased two panes of #10 welders glass to use in experimental observations of the sun. My poor camera... I really torture it alot by taking photos of the sun. For the first time in the hopes of capturing more detail, I decided to try it through these two panes of glass. The camera was steadied on a tripod while I just physically held the glass panels in front of the lens. I took several shots with various exposure levels, and the following was the best photo. I converted it into black and white so the details would be more prominent.


Sun
December 10th, 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
Mostly Sunny, 48° F
Canon SX50 HS - f/8 / ISO 160. / 1/2000s. exposure

Look at the left hemisphere, almost in the center... is that a sunspot? Just to compare, I checked all my other photos, because if it was an imperfection in the glass, my unsteady hand would have had the "sunspot" moving all over the place, however... it was always in the same spot. I also checked the latest observation of the sun at SOHO (Solar and Heliosperic Observatory) and the closest image I could find was taken two hours prior to mine... so... who knows... maybe so, maybe not! Either way... it was fun to try. 


0 comments :

Post a Comment